A proud high point on the Reykjavik skyline firmly planted on a hill in the center of the city reaching a height 74.6m (266 feet). Probably the most recognisable church in Iceland, the masterpiece of the country´s first state architect Mr. Guðjón Samúelsson (16 April 1887 – 25 April 1950), and named after poet and clergyman Rev. Hallgrímur Pétursson (1614–1674), author of the Passion Hymns. The inspiration for the design of the church is from Iceland´s landscape, the trap rocks, mountains and glaciers, construction went on from 1945 until 1986.
When doing a city tour and exploring Reykjavik, Hallgrímskirkja, along with Perlan, Harpa Concert Hall and Iceland Parliament, is a must visit and the view from the belltower is amazing. With a little luck you might be able to catch a concert or a practice of the magnificent pipe organ. In front of the church is a statue of Leif “The Lucky” Eriksson who sailed to North America in 1000 AD, the statue was a gift from the United States of America to the people of Iceland for the millennial celebration of Iceland´s parliament in 1930.
The church is very popular among the locals and through the summer wedding bells can be heard every weekend. Concerts are also often held in the church at various hours.